Have you recently felt depressed? Alone? Isolated? Lost? Abandoned? by your family and friends? Misunderstood by the world? If you have, and like to express your feelings and emotions through poetry and music, chances are you're what today's society considers "emo".
- Read blog sites like MLIA and FML.
- You can paint your nails black, even if you're a guy.
- When applying eyeliner, do not be afraid to apply to the inside of the lids and under the bottom lashline.
- When shopping for emo clothing, be sure to check stores like Hot Topic, Vans, and Spencers (for accessories). You will be able to find most of what you're looking for there.
- Remember, that you can wear other colors than black. Though black is a very popular color among emos, you don't want to wear too much or people might mistake you for "gothic". Red and purple are other good choices.
- Do not try too hard to be emo, or others will see you as a poser.
- If someone asks you if you are emo, simply shrug your shoulders or deny it. If they asked you, chances are, their opinions are already made and then your approval isn't going to change it much.
- Remember, if you are going to wear a band t-shirt, it should be an EMO band. Bands like Green Day, Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, etc. will make you look like a poser. They are not emo bands.
- Look up My Chemical Romance (pre-killjoy), Skillet, Evanescence, and Flyleaf on youtube.com to learn some "Emo" music
- Don't try too hard - let it come naturally.
- You can get your ears pierced more than once. This gives you an emo look. You can even go for a facial piercing.
- Become emo slowly. Gradually build on the makeup. Start soft and then get heavier. Same with the clothes.
- Emo is absolutely NOT cutting yourself. To be emo you do not have to, and shouldn't cut yourself. It will not make you emo. It will hurt you and make you hide yourself, and that isn't a good way to live. If you feel you need to hurt yourself to stop hurting inside, talk to someone you trust, and know will not judge you.
- You may be subjected to negative criticisms by your non-emo friends and possibly the majority of society, so just ignore them.
- Don't cut yourself or harm yourself in any other way. Self-injury is very serious and not something to be played around with.
- Don't become emo unless it's your true self. Being emo is a way of life, and should not be done to prove to your friends that you can be hardcore.
- When you are emo in middle school or high school, it is very, very hard to live through it because you get picked on all the time, but if you are truly emo, you should be able to handle it.
Things You'll Need
- Dark colored skinny jeans (black, dark blue, and red are acceptable)
- Band/graphic tee shirts
- Black hoodie
- Converse/Vans sneakers
- Studded belts (preferably black and white)
- Black tote bag/messenger bag (with or without pins)
- Accessories (facial piercings included)
- Eyeliner (boys and girls)
- Wrist bands
- Emo music on your iPod/MP3 player
- Lots of black with neon clothing
- Black Nail Polish
- Really cool hair